I was elected as a city councillor in October 2016 for the Onslow- Western ward. For the past three years I have championed better community engagement and improved decision making and governance practices.
I work hard every day to ensure our Council takes a balanced and fair approach to what the city needs now and in the future. I also work hard to get your ideas and suggestions into Council and to help address your local issues.
I’m committed to working with others so that our city continues to prosper and is able to readily adapt to future change.
Over the past three years, I have :
- Engagement – secured more funding and resources for community engagement
- Planning – piloted a new approach to community planning (Karori)
- Investment – helped secure investment for improving Karori’s town centre and revitalising Khandallah Summer Pool
- Advocacy – helped address local issues such as parking, buses, safety, resilience and water services
In my role as a city councillor I have also been appointed to the ;
- City Strategy committee
- Finance and Audit Risk committees
- Regulatory Processes committee
- Chief Executive Performance Review committee
I am also the Council’s representative on;
- Wellington’s Museum Trust Board (incorporating Wellington Museum, City Gallery, SpacePlace, Nairn St Cottage, Capital E, Cable Car Museum)
- Wellington Regional Strategy Committee
- Local Government NZ – Governance & Strategy Advisory Group
- Wellington Multicultural Council
I was born in Liverpool, England and as a young child emigrated with my family to Christchurch.
In 1994, I moved to Wellington with my two young daughters to take on a senior role within what was then the Department of Justice. I loved Wellington from the start, the friendliness of the people, the compactness of the city centre and the vibrancy of the city even way back then.
For five years I first lived in the wonderful community of Owhiro Bay and then Mornington. In late 1999 my daughters and I moved to Khandallah with my new extended family – husband Jeff Owens and his two daughters. We love the character of Khandallah and the real community spirit. Our four daughters went to local schools, are now grown (with one granddaughter adding to our family) and we are fortunate that they all still live in the wider Wellington area – Johnsonville, Crofton Downs, Newlands and Mt Victoria.
I have over 25 years of experience working in large government and private enterprises in operational and strategic leadership from Project Manager through to General Manager roles – (strategic planning, business operations, HR, Health and safety, IT, stakeholder engagement, customer delivery, process management, financial transactions management, membership management, Insolvency management etc). A large part of my experience has been in the public sector (Justice, State Services Commission, Immigration, WorkSafe) including working at Wellington City Council managing their Financial Transactions Bureau (2002-2005).